Pages

Friday, July 17, 2015

Don the Tomato Man...

Don and Sue have been a part of my family's life since 1989.  We moved across the street from them and immediately formed a bond.  Well to be honest the bond started when our son Mitch would practice hitting golf balls across the street and into Don's garden!  Don would kindly bring over a hand full of golf balls and either a bowl full of his homegrown strawberries or tomatoes.  To this day Don loves to laugh about Mitch hitting golf balls into his gardens.  Don still tells me he would tell Mitch he plants his golf balls but no matter what he does he can't get them to grow!  Don is an avid gardener and raises the sweetest & juciest tomatoes you have ever put in your mouth!  This year Don planted 80 tomato plants!  I can't even manage to grow and produce a couple of plants, yet this sweet man, flourishing at the age of 86, has 80 thriving tomato plants!  I get a phone call at least twice a week from Don.  It's always the same… "Gwyn Day, we have tomatoes for you to enjoy!"  You don't have to tell me twice, I'm in the car and headed his way as soon as I hang up!  Mark and I have enjoyed BLTs and Caprese Salads all summer!  mmmmm… I know what I am making for dinner!


Sue has her favorite types of tomatoes and Don takes special care of those plants.  Sue has struggled with her health the past few years, and Don is there for her every step of the way.  If you look up caregiver I am most certain Don's picture would be found in the definition.  He is quite a man indeed!


I am continuing to sharpen my photography skills, thanks to Nelou.  For some time now, I have been wanting to photograph this sweet couple along with Don's beautiful garden…  And as luck would have it, Don and Sue were thrilled to have me come and snap a few pictures!  Side bar… I don't know how you photographers do it- photographing weddings, newborns, families etc.!!!  This I know for sure… I would never ever consider doing such a hard and demanding job!  Oh the pressure!  I think I'll stick to honing my skills on food and flowers!


Not everyone is as lucky as I am to have fresh homegrown tomatoes all summer long from a dear friend- so my advice to you… be sure to check out your local Farmer's Market.  Slice some fresh tomatoes, fry up some bacon and make yourself a yummy BLT.

BLT
Fresh sliced tomatoes
Lettuce
Crispy bacon
Miracle Whip
Peanut Butter
Toasted bread
You are probably saying "what?" peanut butter!  Don't knock it till you try it!  Toast the bread and spread one slice with a generous amount of peanut butter and place the bacon on top.  Spread miracle whip on the other slice of bread, add tomatoes on top of the bacon, followed by the lettuce, and top it off with the bread and enjoy!  Get in my mouth now!

Caprese Salad
Fresh sliced tomatoes
Fresh basil
Fresh mozzarella cheese
Excellent balsamic vinegar

Slice up your tomatoes, chop up some basil, add mozzarella cheese and drizzle with balsamic vinegar!  Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Gwyn, I am so happy that you made the special effort to take a few pictures of Don and Sue. They are a charming couple and your pictures shows so much - their love for each other, their love of the garden and their good nature. I agree with you . . . no wedding and portrait photography for me . . . too much pressure. But thanks to you, I think I can manage a BLT for our lunches on this lazy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your very kind comments Donna! Enjoy your BLT!

      Delete
  2. What a special couple! Your photos are beautiful Gwyn! Can't wait to try one of your muffin recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jana for your very kind comment! Don and Sue are a very special couple indeed! Let me know what you think of the muffins!

      Delete