Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Little Beach Street Bakery - A Novel


I'm sure summer is just around the corner… can you feel it?  Spring time in Oklahoma has been anything but sunshine and flowers blooming!  The sun is hiding and my flowers have all but drowned!  What's a girl to do when she can't get out and dig in the dirt?  Why… curl up with a good read and bake of course!  I have a stack of to be read books calling my name on my bedside table.  Side note, hop on over to Modern Mrs. Darcy.  Anne Bogel's blog is chalked full of great reads. Every book I have read from her blog has never disappointed.  I just read the last page of Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan.  Such a fun and yummy read.  A sweet story about a young woman starting over and finding her passion… baking!  I found myself being pulled to the kitchen and searched my pantry for something delicious to bake!  On one such trip to the kitchen after firing up the oven, I stumbled on some very ripe bananas.  Perfect for banana bread!  Instead of bread I wanted to try muffins.  So I started digging in my cookbooks looking for just the right recipe.  I love adding a dollop of sour cream to my muffins, cakes and scones but I couldn't find a recipe with the ingredients I wanted to use.  So wallah… I came up with my own!  Mark, my kids and grands were my taste testers.  I got a "two thumbs up" from the family!  Score!


Scoot to your local book store or order your copy of Little Beach Street Bakery and bake up some muffins.  Make time this summer to curl up with a good book and just enjoy!

Streusel Banana Nut Muffins
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup or a little more pecans, if desired

Streusel Topping:
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup butter softened at room temperature

Mix all topping ingredients until crumbly.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and set aside.  In a separate bowl mash bananas- I use a fork but fingers work quite well!  Add the egg, brown sugar, sour cream, melted butter and vanilla, mix well.  Combine banana mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.  Stir in the nuts if so desired.  Line muffin tins with muffin papers and fill about 2/3 full.  This recipe makes about 16 muffins.  Cover each muffin with streusel topping and bake in a 350 degree oven 25 - 30 minutes.  Muffins are done when you touch them and they spring back.

Now pour a tall glass of ice cold milk and lather up a muffin with a pat or two of butter, grab your book and enjoy the goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment