Pages

Monday, March 9, 2015

muffin ministry

A bit of sunshine…

     Sweet, simple, and delicious poppy seed muffins will add sunshine to your day!  These muffins are my "go to" muffins to package up and take to family and friends.  I have always enjoyed trying new muffin recipes.  Over the years I have taken my "muffin ministry" on the road.  Reminds me of a childhood song… "oh do you know the muffin man?"  Nothing warms my soul more than wrapping up fresh-baked muffins in pretty little packages to share with a few special friends.


My dear mother in law Barbara shared this recipe with me many years ago.  As you can see the page has seen better days!


The page from the cookbook may not have stood the test of time, but I guarantee you these amazing muffins do!  If you would rather make loaves of bread this recipe makes 2 loaves.  The bread and muffins freeze well too (if there are any left over, of course)!


Orange Glazed Poppy Seed Muffins

Ingredients:

3 eggs
1 1/8  cups vegetable oil
2 1/4  cups sugar
1 1/2   cups whole milk
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 Tablespoons poppy seeds

Glaze:
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Directions:

In a mixer combine eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla and almond extract.  Mix well.  In a separate bowl sift flour and baking powder.  Whisk in the salt.  Do not skip the sifting, you will have lumps in your batter if you do not sift!  Alternate flour and milk to the mixing bowl and beat until well mixed, about 2-3 minutes.  Line muffin pans with your favorite muffin/cupcake liners.  Bake at 350.  If you are making bread, bake one hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Muffins take about 15-18  minutes.  Be careful to not let them get too brown.  They look a little anemic but trust me, do not over bake!  I usually find 18 minutes is the perfect amount of baking time.  Cool muffins on a cooling rack.  I take a toothpick and poke several holes in the tops of the muffins.  After the muffins have cooled, spoon the glaze over each muffin.  Makes 32 muffins.  I know what you are thinking… "why 32?"  I have tried to get 3 dozen from the batter but it just never happens.  The average is "32!"

Tip:  I always use extra large eggs in my recipes.

Put the tea kettle on or brew a cup of coffee, pull up a chair and enjoy!  Thanks to my mother in law Barbara for sharing this recipe!  They have truly stood up to the "taste" of time!

© photography by  n e l o u G R A C E

2 comments:

  1. I've been making Poppy Seed loaf for my oldest son (he's 28) since he was a little boy. My version of the recipe comes from Aunt Joan and is exactly the same as yours! I hadn't thought to make muffins and now I surely will! These muffins, like my loaf version, are delicious with fresh berries and a scoop of ice cream. And I love your notion of a muffin ministry. For many years we've delivered a set meal to friends in need - Shepherd's pie, salad and fresh bread. Might have to add these muffins to the menu! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna. I love your addition of adding fresh berries and anything with ice cream has to be good! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

      Delete