Pages

Saturday, August 17, 2013

my kitchen is my studio

I have always envied those that have a "studio."  You know the kind I am talking about....the charming small structure in stunning backyards we have all seen in magazines?  They come in many forms, potting shed, green house, photography studio etc.....  I recently discovered that I have always had a studio in my home.  My kitchen!  I love to cook and my passion is baking!  My shelves are filled with more cookbooks than I can count!  I also love reading recipes online, Pinterest, blogs, Food Network.......like many of you I have pinned and saved more than I can bake!  So what good are all these recipes doing sitting on the shelf or locked up in my computer?  It's time to get them out and start baking and sharing!  My goal is to take a couple cookbooks off the shelf each week and choose something from my many files on my computer and "bake!"  I know several people that are always willing to sink their teeth into something fresh out of the oven!


My Kitchen Aid is my favorite tool in my "studio!"

I was really in the mood to whip up something scrumptious.  I flipped through cookbooks, looked online and finally pulled out an oldie but goodie!  My mom was on my heart a lot today so I baked Chocolate Drop Cookies.  Mom made these cookies more times than I can count when I was a kid.  I remember many times helping her and as we would frost the cookies I loved how shiny the frosting was but when the frosting dried it became dull!  I would always tell mom I wish they would stay shiny. There was just something about the shine that made them look more inviting.  


I wrote this recipe on this card when I was in 7th grade!  Thank goodness my handwriting has improved!  

Today I happened to catch an episode of Barefoot Contessa (one of my favorite cooking shows), Ida was making Chocolate Ganache' and talked about how ganache' keeps it's shine once it dries.  I had to give this a try!  


Wa La!!!!  Totally Shinny!  

Making cookies from my childhood warmed my heart, cookies warmed my tummy!  I am forever grateful for all the wonderful times I had with mom in the kitchen.  I am thankful I have many of her recipes that I can create in my "studio!"

Bon Appetit'

6 comments:

  1. love the shine!! & I think the handwriting is pretty fab considering :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nelou....I'm trying to apply the many things you are teaching me!

      Delete
  2. I sure didn't see any shine because of the blur from them leaving the plate and flying into the kids' mouths! Thank you for the after school treat. They certainly enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the old recipe card.....what a memory! Wish I was closer to be able to taste test!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley....Wish you could do a taste test as well!

      Delete